Equal opportunities in employment policy
- The Institute recognises that it is to the benefit of itself, its staff and those dealing with the Institute for equal opportunities to apply in its employment practices. This policy is intended to contribute to a better, fairer and more effective use of human resources through the active promotion of equal opportunities in the Institute’s employment practices. This Policy aims to avoid or counteract discrimination in the Institute’s employment practices against individuals and groups on grounds which are illegal, unjustifiable or unacceptable.
- While this policy relates particularly to the employment practices of the Institute, the Institute will require its funded clients also to adopt acceptable equal opportunities policies.
Equal opportunities statement
- The Institute strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Its aim is to ensure that individuals are recruited, promoted and generally treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities. In particular it wishes to ensure that no member of staff or job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, marital status, colour, race, nationality or ethnic origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, religious or political belief, trade union activity, physical appearance or HIV-status, provided always that they have the necessary attributes to do the job in question.
- The Institute will keep its employment procedures and practices and its selection criteria under review in order to ensure that these aims are achieved as far as possible. The Institute is committed to taking action to make this policy as effective as possible.
- Managers, application of the Policy and to carry out their duties with due regard to it. In this connection, any cases of members of staff taking discriminatory action in contravention of this Policy will be handled under the Disciplinary Procedure. Staff members who consider that they have been the subject of discriminatory action may raise the matter under the Grievance Procedure.
- An Equal Opportunities Group, representative of all locations and staff areas, will regularly consider issues relating to this policy, monitor its implementation, and make recommendations.