Before the Revolution
A film by Bernardo Bertolucci
Young, middle-class and idealistic, Fabrizio struggles to break away from his bourgeois background. Bertolucci’s beautifully operatic film, winner of the Cannes Critics’ Week prize in 1964, celebrates the passion and ideology of the 1960s, and is presented here newly restored with a selection of revealing extra features.
- Presented in standard definition and high definition (DVD and Blu-ray).
- Original theatrical trailer.
- On-set footage (1963, 4 minutes, DVD only): extract from Italian TV series ‘Cinema doggi’ featuring an interview with the young Bertolucci.
- Interview with Bernardo Bertolucci (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 46 minutes, DVD only): the director discusses Before the Revolution.
- Interviews with Roberto Perpignani, Vittorio Storaro and Ennio Morricone (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 26 minutes, DVD only).
- Working Copy (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 31 minutes, DVD only): comparisons between the working and final versions of the film.
- Bernardo Bertolucci in conversation with David Thompson (2011, 12 minutes, DVD only): Q&A recorded at BFI Southbank.
Colour and Black/white
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories
- B - Includes most European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand