A film by Bill Douglas
The epic story of the Tolpuddle Martyrs, six Dorset labourers deported to Australia in the 1830s for forming a trade union. Unfolding in the pastoral haze of Dorset and blinding light of Australia, this beautiful film is rich with carefully layered visual illusions and nuances. With moving, profound performances from a magnificent cast – including Alex Norton, Imelda Staunton, Robin Soans, Philip Davis, Vanessa Redgrave, Keith Allen and Barbara Windsor – this is a compelling account of struggle and injustice. This distinctive feature from a director of singular vision is presented in a new high definition restoration.
- Lanterna Magicka - Bill Douglas & the Secret History of Cinema (2009, 60 min): an insightful new documentary on Douglas’s life and work (DVD only).
- Visions of: Comrades (2009, 15 min): cast-members recall making the film (DVD only).
- Home and Away (Michael Alexander, 1974, 31 min): charming short film co-scripted by Douglas (DVD only).
- News report from the set of Comrades.
- Original Comrades trailer (DVD only).
- Fully illustrated booklet including new essay, visual material, archive Q&A with Bill Douglas, biography, cast and credits.
- PCM stereo audio (48k/16bit) (extras Dolby Digital 640kbps).
English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / French / Spanish / German
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories
- B - Includes most European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand