A film by the Quay Brothers
Jakob (Mark Rylance) wants to be of service. Admitted to a peculiar school for servants run by domineering Johannes (Gottfried John) and his sorrowful sister Lisa (Alice Krige), Jakob gradually uncovers the mystical Institute’s secrets and, by extension, those of life itself. This striking live action feature from the master animators is a beautifully realised anti-fairytale. The Quays’ visionary style breathes life into every corner of this fragile world, which shimmers with luminous energy and hypnotic beauty.
- high definition and standard definition presentations.
- ‘Inside the Institute: An In-Between World’ (2010, 31 min): journey into the film’s creation with the Quays, Mark Rylance and Alice Krige.
- On the set of Institute Benjamenta (2000, 16 min, DVD only).
- Institute Benjamenta trailer (1995, 1 min).
- Eurydice She, So Beloved (Quay Brothers, 2007, 11 min).
- Songs for Dead Children (Quay Brothers, 2003, 24 min).
- The Comb (Quay Brothers, 1990, 18 min).
- Fully illustrated booklet of newly-commissioned contributions.
Germany, Japan, United Kingdom
English for the hard-of-hearing
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories
- B - Includes most European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand