A film by Peter Watkins
Paul Jones (Manfred Mann) plays Steven Shorter, the biggest pop star of his day, whose endorsement influences the actions of the masses. In reality, though, he is a puppet whose popularity is carefully managed by government-backed handlers keen to keep the country’s youth under control. Also starring 60s supermodel Jean Shrimpton, Privilege is available in the UK for the first time since its original cinema release.
- Original Privilege trailer.
- The Diary of an Unknown Soldier (Peter Watkins, 1959, 17 min): a WWI soldier preparing for combat shares his innermost feelings.
- The Forgotten Faces (Peter Watkins, 1961, 18 min): a gripping newsreel-style account of the peoples’ uprising in Hungary, 1956.
- Extensive illustrated booklet with essays by film historian Robert Murphy, and Watkins specialist John Cook.
English for the hard-of-hearing
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories
- B - Includes most European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand