BFI Media Conference 2013
The Media Conference at BFI Southbank has been a core element of BFI Education’s continuing professional development for teachers of film and moving image media since 1990. Focusing on the needs of those working with students age 15-19 and increasingly of value to Higher Education, the conference’s workshops, presentations and panel discussions inspire and support teachers with the latest exciting trends and approaches in the industry and education sectors.
Read the full conference programme.
The conference’s four plenary sessions feature David Abraham (CEO Channel 4), Josh Berger (President and Managing Director of Warner Bros Entertainment UK), Christine Langan (Head of BBC Films) and James Curran (Professor of Communications, Goldsmiths / Director, Goldsmiths Leverhulme Media Research Centre).
Other sessions offer options for teachers to select from three strands:
- 13 Industry session options include Shaminder Nahal, Deputy Editor of Channel 4 News, as well as a film commissioner, music video producer, writer of TV drama and many more.
- 7 Research session options include Des Freedman (Goldsmiths) on Media Ownership and Media Power, as well as everything from social media habits to statistics from the British film industry.
- 12 Teaching session options include Rebecca Ellis (Wakefield College) on Women in Film/TV Comedy, as well as sessions on Spectatorship, Changing Media Representations and Facilitating Student Research.
Conference sessions will be interspersed with networking opportunities, tea and lunch breaks and the delegates’ drinks reception, closing with a surprise film preview and director Q&A. It’s fantastic value – ticket prices below:
|Early Bird Booking before 24 May||Booking after 24 May|
|One full place (2 days)||£225.00||One full place (2 days)||£275.00|
|Two full places*||£200 each||Two full places*||£250 each|
|Three or more full places*||£175 each||Three or more full places*||£225 each|
|Day rate||£150||Day rate||£175|
|One full Concessionary/PGCE place||£100||One full Concessionary/PGCE place||£125|
*Booked by the same institution
- Complete the Media Conference 2013 Application Form and Media Conference 2013 Session Selection Form.
- Pay at the same time with cheque or card. Your booking/payment confirmation will be emailed to you.
- The fee covers all plenaries, optional sessions, refreshments, lunches, Drinks Reception, Surprise Film and conference papers.
- Sessions are allocated on first-come first-served basis; we cannot guarantee any preferences.
For further information
Phone 020 7815 1329
BFI Media Conference 2012: Creativity, Industry and Learning
In 2012, the conference extended its focus on converging media platforms to include a day entirely on New Media, followed by a day each on TV and Film. For more details and to download the 2012 programme with full details on all industry and education speakers, see BFI Media Conference 2012: Creativity, Industry and Learning.
MEA Media Literacy Conference
BFI Education was pleased to host the Media Education Association’s Media Literacy Conference in December 2012, as well as co-producing a primary media education strand and running a session on media literacy and archive film. For a full overview of the conference, visit themea.org.uk.