Qualifying as a British film under one of the UK’s official co-production treaties provides a number of advantages: eligibility to apply to the BFI Film Fund and eligibility to apply for the UK’s film tax relief.

Making an application

Before you make your application please read through the co-production guidelines. Applications for British film certification should be made to the BFI Certification Unit. Applicants should apply for interim certification at least 4 weeks before principal photography starts.

Applications should be sent to:

The Certification Unit
British Film Institute
21 Stephen Street
London W1T 1LN

Please contact us if you have any questions or would like to discuss your project: Tel: +44 (0)20 7173 3214 or e-mail: or

Here is a list of productions which have received final certification under a co-production agreement.

Bi-lateral co-production treaties

The UK currently has ten active bi-lateral treaties with:

European Convention on Cinematographic Co-production

The UK is one of many countries that is a signatory to the European Convention on Cinematographic Co-production. You can view a copy of the agreement and list signatories on the Council of Europe website.

Forthcoming Treaties

The UK Government has signed a treaty with China on 23 April 2014. It will be subject to constitutional procedures before it can be ratified and come into force.

The UK government signed a treaty with Brazil on 28 September 2012. The press release is available here. It will be subject to constitutional procedures in both countries before it can be ratified and come into force.

The UK/Morocco co-production treaty is now in force.

Further Information

Applicants are encouraged to contact the Certification Unit as early as possible to discuss their application. The unit are happy to meet applicants at any stage of development and work with them on their projects. For further details on the or to discuss a particular project please telephone Anna Mansi, BFI Certification Manager, on +44 (0)20 7173 3214 or e-mail: or

Specialist Advice

You can also view HMRC’s guidance on tax relief and co-productions on their website. For further information on UK tax relief, click here. Media lawyers and accountants can provide advice on British qualification and accessing UK tax relief. Contacts can be found in the UK production directories below.

How to find a UK co-producer

The following sources are useful for finding contacts for UK producers/production companies:

  • The UK directory of independent producers, published by PACT (The Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television).
  • The British Films Catalogue, produced by the British Council Films Department.

Read more

Back to the top