The BFI Film Academy provides opportunities for talented and committed young people between the ages of 16-19 to develop new skills and build a career in the film industry, no matter where they live or what their background.
Eleven intensive days in Edinburgh, learning key skills in screenwriting, camera, directing, production, sound and editing, with participants producing a short film and meeting some of the best producers, directors, screenwriters and craft talent in the UK film industry through masterclasses.
Delivered by Screen Education Edinburgh
Course dates: Tuesday 24 July — Thursday 3 August 2018
Application deadline: Tuesday 19 June 2018 (5pm)
Number of places: 25
We welcome applications from talented young filmmakers from all backgrounds. The Course Fee ranges from £0 to £210 for the Craft Skills residential: Scotland, which includes your accommodation and food for the duration of the course.
Due to generous support from the Department for Education in England, Creative Scotland, Lottery funding and Northern Ireland Screen we are able to heavily subsidise the cost of fees. The true cost of providing these courses is £1,500 for the Craft Skills residential: Scotland, but the maximum you will be asked to pay is £210 if you fall into the highest income bracket. Depending on your financial circumstances we will subsidise some of the Course Fee or all of it.
Please don’t let the cost of the residential courses deter you from applying. If a young person is offered a place on the Film Academy and can’t afford the Course Fee or other associated costs, our bursary scheme can help them — if you have the talent we will make sure you can attend.
For more information please download the FAQ below or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to apply for any BFI Film Academy course, you must:
- be aged 16-19 years old on the first day of the course.
- not be attending university at the time of the course.
- have a passion or talent for filmmaking and an ambition to work in the film industry.
- be able to commit to the duration of the course.
- If you have already attended a BFI Film Academy Network course, you are still eligible to apply. Unfortunately if you have previously attended a BFI Film Academy residential course, you are not able to apply.