Sight & Sound is proud to support the AV festival, a biennial festival of contemporary art, film and music based in the North East of England.
This year the programme is curated around a theme of ‘Extraction’, exploring the raw materials that create our experience of the world.
The Postcolonial Cinema Weekend (7-9 March) looks at the complex histories and material traces of past colonial inequalities and welcomes filmmakers including Yervant Gianikian and Angela Ricci Lucchi with new work. Other filmmakers whose films are being screened in this strand include Sven Augustijnen, Gabriel Abrantes, Mathieu Kleyebe Abonnenc and Duncan Campbell. And there’s a special focus on the films of leading Chinese documentary filmmaker Wang Bing.
Full programme details can be found on the festival’s website.
We are delighted to offer a complimentary pass (entitling the winner and a guest) to the Postcolonial Cinema Weekend from Friday 7 to Sunday 9 March. Accommodation and travel will also be included. (*Please see terms and conditions below.) Screenings and events take place at the Tyneside Cinema and Star and Shadow Cinema in Newcastle.
To be in with a chance of winning please answer the following question and include a contactable telephone number on your entry:
Q. What is the name of Duncan Campbell’s film (screening at the festival)?
a. It for Others
b. Pays Barbare
Entry email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday 3 March 2014, midday. (Winners will also be notified on this date.)
*Terms and Conditions for AV Festival competition:
1. The prize-winner will be picked at random and notified on Monday 3 March 2014.
2. Employees and immediate families of the BFI, the AV Festival, or companies involved in the competition are ineligible to enter this competition.
3. This competition is restricted to UK residents only.
4. The pass is valid for 1 person plus their guest.
5. The pass is only valid for the weekend of Friday 7 to Sunday 9 March 2014 and for the Post-Colonial Cinema weekend screenings and events.
6. Screenings will still need to be booked for the films and events using the pass but the pass does not include priority booking.
7. Travel fares for the winner and their guest are restricted to rail or coach tickets within the UK only.
8. The choice of hotel accommodation will be at the decision of the AV festival office.
9. The two-night hotel stay is based on two people sharing on the evening of Friday 7 and Saturday 8 March only.
10. Accommodation will be based in the North East of England, either in Newcastle or Gateshead.
11. The prize is non-transferable nor exchangeable for a cash alternative.
12. Further terms and conditions from the general T&Cs on the BFI competitions page may apply.