It’s finally here! After a rabble-rousing preview at Flare 2016, Rebel Dykes returns in all its ass-kicking, leather-wearing glory. The film follows a tight-knit group of friends who met at Greenham Common peace camp and went on to become artists, performers, musicians and activists in London. A heady mash-up of animation, archive footage and interviews tells the story of a radical scene: squatters, BDSM nightclubs, anti-Thatcher rallies, protests demanding action around AIDS and the fierce ties of chosen family. This is an extraordinarily privileged glimpse into a bygone world by those who not only lived out their politics with heartfelt conviction but lived to tell the tale.
Jay Bernard, Programmer
Accessibility Available with closed captions and audio description
BFI Flare Certificate 18
Please note, this film has explicit content.
UK distribution Bohemia Media
How to watch
- On BFI Player in the UK with a ticket or festival pass
- Watch at any time during the festival
- 4 hours to finish once you start watching
More about how to watch a film or event at BFI Flare.
- £10 or £8 for BFI Members
- £5 for 16 to 25-year-olds – sign up for your free BFI 25 & Under account