Applications for the International Distribution strand are now closed.
What you can apply for
- funding relating to the international sale, marketing and promotion of a single eligible UK film in the form of non-recoupable grants:
- up to £60,000 for a single eligible ‘packaged film’ or up to £10,000 for a single eligible ‘pre-sale film’
Up to six applications can be made per eligible applicant during the fund’s pilot year.
Who can apply
UK companies who have been appointed as the international sales agent for a feature-length live action or animation, fiction or documentary film.
The film must:
- be budgeted at less than £10 million
- be capable of qualifying for certification as a British film
- not be fully financed by a studio or mini major
- not be intended for a TV or SVOD premiere
Applicants must provide written consent from the lead UK producer of the film to make an application.
British films that are represented by non-UK sales agents and that are seeking support for activity at a specific festival should contact the BFI’s Film Export Fund. UK sales agents should note that they cannot apply to both funds for the same film title.
Our funding priorities
This strand aims to grow exports and global demand for UK independent film. It will support the UK film industry to achieve measurable results that would not have been possible without UK Global Screen Fund (UKGSF) support, including:
- increasing the number and value of international sales of UK independent film
- increasing international audiences for UK independent film
- increasing commercial returns for UK screen companies, rights holders and financiers
In addition, in making awards through each of its strands, the UKGSF is seeking to ensure a UK-wide benefit and address geographic imbalance within the industry.
Therefore, as part of our assessment we will consider:
- where the applicant company and UK producer(s) are based
- where projects are shot and made
- how projects reflect the culture and talent of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the English regions outside Greater London
What you need to provide
To complete the application form you will need to supply:
- full details of the eligible applicant and eligible film
- details of the UK producer(s) of the eligible film and collection agent (if applicable)
- an overview of the activity you are seeking funding for
- details of festivals and/or market participation for the eligible film over the next six months
- value of documented and/or forecast sales of the eligible film
- detailed sales and marketing budget and schedule which clearly shows how the UKGSF grant will be used
Our resources: application outcomes and feedback
If you have any questions relating to the funding or application, please email email@example.com.
The extremely competitive nature of our funding means that we have to make very difficult decisions and often have to turn down projects even when they meet some or all of our stated criteria.
We aim to make the application process as fair and transparent as possible. As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we do not have the resources to provide feedback on projects that have been declined.