Stockbridge is a small market town 9 Miles west of Winchester which originally started as a local 'Stockbridge Film Night' in the Town Hall, in partnership with the Moviola organisation, showing about 7 films a year.
In January 2015 Stockbridge Community Cinema was created under new management, after equipping the Stockbridge Town Hall venue with a projector provided by the BFI Neighbourhood Equipment Fund and, in addition a full range of audio visual equipment including a hearing induction loop system. It now operates as an Associate of Moviola showing films twice a month all year round as follows:-
- a monthly Wednesday Film Night usually around the second to last Wednesday of the month with both a matinee and evening show
- additional Film Night Extra events showing films with perhaps less wide-ranging appeal including foreign films, documentaries and occasional 'recorded live' events'. We sometimes screen (optional) extra short films after the main event such as interviews with the director or screenwriter.
- a monthly Baby Film Club for parents/carers of babies up to 12 months at an additional lunchtime screening on the day of our Wednesday Film Night
The audience, made up of local people from Stockbridge and surrounding villages, averages around 70 with a hall capacity of 90. Wine, soft drinks and ice cream are available for a very reasonable cost which makes the evening an enjoyable social event.
We have a growing email distribution list (over 350 addresses) and send an email notification of each month's upcoming films as well as last minute updates on ticket availability. We pay for the hire of the Town Hall and use of the equipment but any surplus made is donated to local community causes and over the last 2 years we have donated over £6,000.
We participate in the Into Film Festival annually with free film shows for two local schools (Primary and Secondary). The main objective of this national film festival is to encourage young people to go to the cinema and build audiences for the future.
We are fully accessible with the following facilities:
- lift to the upstairs hall
- toilet for the disabled,
- able to accommodate wheelchairs or those with special seating needs
- baby changing facilities
- hearing induction loop system
We have arranged meal deals with two local restaurants in Stockbridge which offer discounts on showing a valid ticket for one of our films - visit our website for full details of these offers and any conditions that apply (www.stockbridgecinema.org.uk).
Where to buy tickets or memberships
- At the door
- Online - https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/stockbridgecommunitycinema
- John Robinson (Butchers) and Garden Inn High Street, Stockbridge
Organisations we work with
- Cinema For All
- Film Hub South East