We support the development of ideas that entertain, inform and excite young audiences and have a clear view of the target audiences’ tastes and preferences, including the service that they would access it on.
Awards are non-recoupable and can provide up to a maximum of 100% of the development budget depending on the stage of development and purpose.
Costs that can be covered by this funding include the development of treatments, pitch documents, series bibles, formats, scripts, pilots, animation tests and other materials required for pitching to broadcasters and securing their commitment. Applications can include cost of research, consultants, option agreements and other legal costs.
The fund is intended for productions that will do one or more of the following:
- inform our understanding of the world
- stimulate knowledge and learning
- reflect UK cultural identity
- represent diversity and alternative viewpoints
Who can apply
Applications must be made by the production company’s executive producer or producer. Public service broadcaster subsidiary production companies and SPVs are eligible to apply.
This is a competitive fund that aims to stimulate the plurality of content for young audiences, where the BBC is often the dominant buyer and broadcaster. Therefore we are unlikely to prioritise applications that have the BBC as a financier.
Please note that advertiser-funded programming and branded content is not eligible for this fund.
What you need to provide
Your application should include public service broadcast values and provide the following:
- the format of the programme and/or synopsis, story and themes
- biographies and key examples of your previous work
- reasons for wanting to make the project and why you think your target audience will want to watch it
- preliminary casting ideas and how you are planning to approach potential cast and/or presenters and/or directors
- where and when you are hoping to go into production,
- your potential or actual financial partners and any expenditure incurred to date
- anticipated schedule for development work
- the budget you anticipate needing to develop the project and the amount you are requesting from the BFI
- an estimate of the anticipated total production budget
- any unusual or challenging technical or budgetary requirements
Apply for funding
If this is your first application, please create an account.
Read the BFI Young Audiences Content Fund guidelines before making an application.
If you wish to see the online application format before applying, please download the application preview.
If you have any questions relating to the fund or application, please email YACF@bfi.org.uk.
We can provide assistance to applicants who have a disability, are D/deaf, have a visual or hearing impairment or are neurodiverse, where this support is needed for someone to make an application. See Access support for BFI Film Fund applicants.