Qualifying your animation programme as British under the cultural test for animation programmes means you can access the animation tax relief.
See the full criteria for UK creative industry tax reliefs.
The test is points-based and the project needs 16 of a possible 31 points to pass. It comprises four sections:
- cultural content (up to 16 points)
- cultural contribution (up to 4 points)
- cultural hubs (up to 3 points)
- cultural practitioners (up to 8 points)
Apply for interim certification at any point before or during production in order to claim animation tax relief while still in production.
A final application must be submitted once the programme is complete and ready to be viewed by an audience. The application form below can be used for both interim and final certification.
Please read the guidance notes before making an application.
To make an application or view current applications please create or log in to your account below:
See the supporting documents section below for further information.
The BFI requires additional supporting material to complete its assessment of your application.
These should be attached to your online application form:
- shooting script
- series bible, synopsis or treatment
- production schedule
- production budget (interim) or final cost report (final)
- chain of title or underlying material declaration below [only if applying for points under section A3(b)]
- copy of the completed programme (final)
- accountant’s report (final – only if applying for points in sections C and D)
Virtual statutory declarations are not accepted. It would be preferable if you can submit a scanned PDF version of the original statutory declaration, this can be attached to the online application form or e-mailed to email@example.com. We understand this may not be possible for everyone and if necessary hardcopies should be posted to our offices (please do not post the whole application form and supporting documents, only the statutory declaration):
The Certification Unit
British Film Institute
21 Stephen Street
London W1T 1LN
To discuss your project, contact Anna Mansi, BFI Head of Certification, on +44 (0)20 7173 3214 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.