Modern slavery is a violation of human rights, deprivation of personal liberty and illegal exploitation of people for personal or commercial gain. The BFI condemns this unacceptable and horrendous crime wherever in the world it occurs.
The BFI has an effective procurement process in place to ensure modern slavery is not taking place anywhere within its supply chain. Suppliers must confirm when submitting tenders that their organisation will abide and adhere by the BFI code of conduct for suppliers.
The Modern Slavery Act (MSA) 2015 has been incorporated into the BFI code of conduct for suppliers. Regardless of turnover or location, the BFI will expect its suppliers to publish an annual statement which, dependent on each supplier’s own individual circumstances, covers all or part of the below and/or any other areas deemed relevant to that particular supplier:
- A brief description of the supplier’s business model and supply chain relationships;
- Policies relating to modern slavery, including due diligence and auditing processes implemented;
- Its due diligence processes in relation to slavery and human trafficking in its business and supply chains;
- Training available and provided to those in supply chain management and the rest of the supplier’s organisation;
- The principal risks related to slavery and human trafficking including how the supplier evaluates and manages those risks in their organisation and their supply chain;
- If the supplier has a global turnover of £36m or above, the annual statement should be approved internally and published in accordance with the Modern Slavery Act (MSA) 2015 requirements.
The BFI is committed and will continue to raise awareness throughout its supply chain. We expect high standards from all of our suppliers, and we expect that our suppliers will hold their own suppliers to the same high standards.
This statement has been approved and published by the BFI board and will continue to be reviewed at least once annually.
(The BFI’s financial year end is 31 March, and this statement covers 2020-2021.)