Qualifying your film as British under the cultural test for film means you can access UK film tax relief. It is also one of the criteria needed to apply to the BFI Film Fund.
See the full criteria for UK creative industry tax reliefs.
The test is points-based and the project will need to achieve 18 out of 35 points to pass.
It comprises four sections:
- cultural content (up to 18 points)
- cultural contribution (up to 4 points)
- cultural hubs (up to 5 points)
- cultural practitioners (up to 8 points)
Apply for interim certification at any point before or during production in order to claim film tax relief while still in production.
A final application must be submitted once the film is complete and ready to be viewed by an audience. The application form below can be used for both interim and final certification.
Please read the guidance notes before making an application.
To make an application or view current applications please create or log in to your account below:
See the supporting documents section below for further information.
The BFI requires additional supporting material to complete its assessment of your application.
These should be attached to your online application form:
- shooting script
- synopsis or treatment of the screenplay
- shooting schedule
- production budget (interim) or final cost report (final)
- A copy of the chain of title [only if applying for points under section A3(b)]
- copy of the completed film (final)
- accountant’s report (final – only if applying for points in sections C and D)
Virtual statutory declarations are not accepted. It would be preferable if you can submit a scanned PDF version of the original statutory declaration, this can be attached to the online application form or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We understand this may not be possible for everyone and if necessary hardcopies should be posted to our offices (please do not post the whole application form and supporting documents, only the statutory declaration):
The Certification Unit
British Film Institute
21 Stephen Street
London W1T 1LN
To discuss your project, contact Anna Mansi, BFI Head of Certification, on +44 (0)20 7173 3214 or email email@example.com.