The BFI is committed to making this website useful for everyone.
We use the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 to improve the accessibility of our pages. There are 3 levels of accessibility: A, AA and AAA.
We work towards being AA compliant. At present we have partially met these criteria and continue to work towards achieving full AA across the site.
You should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts via browser or plugin
- zoom in up to 500% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver.
AbilityNet has more information about how to make your computer, laptop, tablet or mobile easier to use.
How we tested for accessibility
We have worked with Zoonou, a software and Quality Assurance testing agency who specialise in accessibility testing, to carry out testing across a representative range of pages and components.
The website was tested with the following:
|Assistive tools||Browser/OS/device environment|
|Jaws (screen reader)||IE11 - Windows 10|
|NVDA (screen reader)||Firefox (latest build) — Windows 10|
|ZoomText (magnification)||IE11 — Windows 10|
|Dragon Naturally Speaking (speech recognition)||IE11 — Windows 10|
|VoiceOver (Mac OS) (screen reader)||Safari (latest build) — macOS 10.13|
|VoiceOver (iOS) (screen reader)||iPhone 7 — Safari (latest build) — iOS 13|
|TalkBack for Android (screen reader)||Google Pixel 3 — Chrome (latest build)- Android 10|
Where we can improve
We have worked hard to meet the AA level criteria but know that there are areas we still need to improve upon, the following areas are not currently accessible:
- Our pre-recorded video content lacks audio description or media alternatives. This does not comply with WCAG Level A 2.1: 1.2.3 Audio Description or Media Alternative (Pre-Recorded).
- Some of our pre-recorded videos lack synchronised captions. This does not comply with WCAG Level A 2.1: 1.2.2 Captions (Pre-Recorded).
- Some of our PDFs and Word documents do not meet standards by lacking alternative text. This does not comply with WCAG Level A 2.1: 1.1.1 Non-Text Content.
- We do not have a search function or available site map. This does not comply with WCAG Level AA 2.1: 2.4.5 Multiple Ways to navigate.
- Some of our imagery may contain inappropriate alternative attributes. This does not comply with WCAG Level A 2.1: 1.1.1 Non-Text Content.
- A user is unable to tab to the article tiles with macOS Voiceover. This does not comply with WCAG Level A 2.1: 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value.
The accessibility does not cover the following BFI services:
Get in touch
If you have issues with using parts of our website or identify accessibility issues that we’ve not stated, please do get in touch with us so that we can look to address them via email or the feedback form at the bottom of each webpage:
Originally published: 14 September 2020.