Rules and Restrictions
- By submitting a video, all competition entrants are agreeing to the BFI Future Film Festival 60 Second Film Competition Terms and Conditions, including these Rules and Restrictions.
- Competition entrants must be aged 16 to 25 on 1 January 2024.
- The competition is open to filmmakers from around the world.
- Videos can be any length up to 60 seconds within a single file. Longer videos or films running across more than one file will not be accepted.
- Videos must be submitted via TikTok only, using the hashtag #FFFSixtySeconds and by tagging @BritishFilmInstitute.
- The video must be an original creation, not utilising any unlicensed copyright material including any music or sounds from TikTok’s Audio Library.
- Submissions must be delivered in TikTok’s standard aspect ratio of 9:16.
- The winning film may be used on screen during the BFI Future Film Festival 2024 and for promotional purposes.
- The winner will be invited to attend the Festival (15 to 18 February 2024) including the awards ceremony on Sunday 18 February 2024 at BFI Southbank, London. Travel and accommodation expenses are not included and will be the sole responsibility of the winner.
- The £250 prize will be procured by the BFI and paid to the winner.
- The prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative for the non-cash elements of the prize.
- The winner is not authorised to sell the non-cash elements of the prize.
Terms and conditions
These terms and conditions together with any specific rules set out in the Competition Details section (the “Rules”) apply to competitions promoted by the BFI Future Film Festival (each a “Competition”), unless otherwise expressly stated. By entering a Competition, entrants agree to be bound by the Rules.
2. The promoter and administrator of the Competition is the British Film Institute, 21 Stephen Street, London, W1T 1LN (the “BFI Future Film Festival”).
4. The BFI Future Film Festival reserves the right to cancel or amend Competitions or the Rules (including the eligibility requirements) at its sole discretion with or without prior notice: (i) in the event of any occurrence outside the BFI Future Film Festival’s reasonable control; (ii) to ensure the Competition is run fairly and in an honourable manner; and, (iii) to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and guidance. Any cancellation or changes may then be notified on the BFI Future Film Festival website and the BFI TikTok page.
5. In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to the Competition, the decision of the BFI Future Film Festival shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
6. Employees (or members of the families or households of employees) of the British Film Institute, the BFI Future Film Festival, any company involved in a Competition (including any advertising agency or website development company) or any subsidiary or associated companies of the same, are not eligible to enter the Competition.
7. By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current, accurate and complete. The BFI Future Film Festival reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants and disqualify an entrant for submitting false or incomplete information.
8. The TikTok account you upload your Competition entry with will be used to send any prizes, so please make sure this is correct.
9. The Competition is open to people aged 16-25 on 1 January 2024 only.
10. The BFI Future Film Festival reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant is not eligible or has otherwise breached any of the Rules.
11. In the event that any Competition winner is subsequently disqualified from the Competition for any reason, the BFI Future Film Festival, in its sole discretion, may decide whether a replacement winner should be selected in accordance with the Competition criteria and a prize awarded.
12. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Details, and subject to the remainder of this clause, you may only enter a Competition once. Multiple entries from the same TikTok profile or the same use across multiple TikTok profiles will be discounted. Where the BFI Future Film Festival discovers or has reasonable grounds to suspect that any entrant has used any software or automated process either to answer questions, enter the Competition, or to make bulk entries, the BFI Future Film Festival may exclude such entries and disqualify the entrant from the Competition.
13. Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date and time specified in the Competition Details. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
14. There is no charge to enter the Competition.
15. Proof of posting or emailing cannot be accepted as proof of delivery. The BFI Future Film Festival shall bear no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of or unauthorised access to entries, or entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of server functions, technical issues, virus, bugs or other causes outside the BFI Future Film Festival’s control, or otherwise.
16. Entrants should note that unless stated otherwise, the BFI Future Film Festival does not accept responsibility for the safekeeping or return of any entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material. You should, therefore, ensure you retain a copy of your entry for your own records.
17. The selection of a winning entry is open to subjective interpretation, and therefore a judge, or a selection panel will be appointed. In either case, the judge or panel members will be demonstrably independent from the pool of entrants from which the eventual winner is picked. Those appointed to act as judges or panel members will be competent to judge. In all matters, the decision of the judge(s) or panel shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
18. Prize winners will be notified in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Details (and may be contacted by the BFI Future Film Festival). Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification (and within the time stated) may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
19. The prize winners’ names may be published on the BFI Future Film Festival website, the BFI TikTok page, and other BFI media.
20. The winning entrant must claim the prize with 15 business days of the online announcement. Failure to claim the prize within this time or in the manner specified may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
21. Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative for the non-cash elements of the prize. The BFI Future Film Festival reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time in its sole discretion.
22. Prizes are awarded at the BFI Future Film Festival’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded in the case of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. Where entries are being judged on creative or artistic merit, or other subjective criteria, the BFI Future Film Festival or the Competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, to remove or amend selection criteria and the structure and operation of the Competition if entries are not of the requisite standard.
24. Where there is a minimum and maximum age requirement for entry, this will be stated in the Competition Details and must be observed. The BFI Future Film Festival reserves the right to request written proof of age and identity of any entrant including the winner. Where no such written proof is supplied, or the entrant is not the requisite age, the BFI Future Film Festival may disqualify the entrant.
25. All taxes, insurances and other expenses are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
Intellectual Property Rights and Use of Entries
28. The BFI Future Film Festival does not, unless we agree this with you, claim any rights of ownership in your entry. As such, you retain ownership of your entry and, although the BFI Future Film Festival will be able to use entries for publicity purposes as set out in the Rules, you will also have the right to use your entry.
29. In consideration of the BFI Future Film Festival agreeing to consider your entry, each entrant agrees that the BFI Future Film Festival (and third parties authorised by the BFI Future Film Festival) may use the entry across its digital platform and on any other media (including but not limited to third party websites, mobile, television and radio). For this purpose, you hereby grant the BFI Future Film Festival (and third parties authorised by the BFI Future Film Festival) a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence (for the full period of any rights in the entry) to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, make derivative works or podcasts from, edit, alter, store, re-format, use as part of any advertising or sponsorship campaign, sell and sub-licence the entry.
30. The BFI Future Film Festival does not guarantee to use any entry. The BFI Future Film Festival may also, in appropriate circumstances, and at its sole discretion, reject, edit, remove or disable access to entries that it considers may be legally or otherwise problematic.
31. Your entry and any information submitted by you must be personal to and relate specifically to you. You warrant that your entry and all information which you submit or distribute will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy, or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening. In addition, you warrant that you have permission to use or feature any people, content or other material contained within your entry. The BFI Future Film Festival reserve the right to screen, filter and monitor entries.
32. Any textual content used by the promoter or sponsor shall credit the author. Use may include publication in any BFI Future Film Festival or BFI publication or on BFI websites. All contestants understand and agree that any entry may be used by the promoter or sponsor for marketing and promotional purposes including in any media such as exhibitions, print, and digital media. All winning contestants understand that their name, likeness, and winning entry may be used for marketing and promotional purposes including in any media such as publicity, exhibitions, print, and digital media.
33. The BFI Future Film Festival shall bear no responsibility for any damage, loss, injury, or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering a Competition, or as a result of accepting any prize. The BFI Future Film Festival is not responsible for any technical issues in relation to any telecommunications or internet network (including in relation to speed or bandwidth), including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s device related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in a Competition. Nothing shall exclude the BFI Future Film Festival’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
Data Protection and Publicity
34. Winners may be requested to take part in post event promotional activity and the BFI Future Film Festival reserves the right to use the names and contact details of winners, their photographs and audio or visual recordings of them in any publicity.
35. Any personal data relating to entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and best practice. Data relating to entrants will be retained by the BFI Future Film Festival for a reasonable period after the Competition closes to assist the BFI Future Film Festival to operate competitions in a consistent manner and to deal with any queries.
36. All Competitions and the Rules are and will be governed by the laws England and Wales and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England. The BFI Future Film Festival website is primarily intended to be accessed by residents in the United Kingdom. The BFI Future Film Festival makes no representation that materials available across our website comply with local laws in other jurisdictions.
How to contact us
37. You can contact us in relation to the Competition by writing to: The BFI Future Film Festival, The British Film Institute, 21 Stephen Street, London, W1T 1LN or by emailing email@example.com with ‘the BFI Future Film Festival competition’ in the subject header.