How to get a BFI Certificate of Audiovisual Work

Getting a BFI Certificate of Audiovisual Work (which has replaced the EC Certificate of British Nationality) may give producers more opportunities to exhibit your production in Europe.

The certificate confirms in the opinion of the BFI the work qualifies as a European work under Section 368CB(7) of the Communications Act 2003 and the Council of Europe Convention on Transfrontier Television to which the UK is a signatory.

The purpose of the certificate is to assist film and programme-makers when seeking distribution in certain European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) countries where there is a quota on the number of European works that is required to be exhibited.

Please note: the certificate is not a legal requirement in order for a film or programme to be eligible for UK film/television tax relief and nor can it be used to claim UK film/television tax relief.

Guidance notes


Completed applications and any further questions about applying can be sent to the Certification Unit via email