10:30am to 3:30pm, 8 February 2024, BFI Southbank
This study day aimed at KS3 Chinese Mandarin is designed to help pupils gain understanding of China’s contemporary culture in an exploration of the nation’s cinema. Drawing on relevant cultural contexts, analysis of Chinese cinema can help to develop students’ awareness of China as a nation today, as well as knowledge of the themes of family, travel and technology.
Pupils will be provided the opportunity to explore these themes in depth through textual analysis of key scenes in selected Chinese feature and short films, such as Not One Less (2000) directed by Zhang Yimou and Please Vote for Me (Weijun Chen, 2007). In the afternoon, students will watch a full length screening of a recent Chinese film, chosen by a teacher poll.
This workshop is designed to develop a cultural awareness that will enhance language learning and understanding of Chinese traditions as well as China today.
- £10 per student. Accompanying teachers / adults are charged £1 per 5 students – otherwise student rate applies.
- To book call 020 7815 1329 and pay using a credit/debit card or download, print and return the booking form with cheque or card details.
- Schools which have over 20% of students receiving free school meals should ask about a discount when booking.
- Please book by 12pm the day before the event.
- We cannot reserve seats, send invoices or accept BACS payments.
- For any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.