Applications for the International Co-production strand are now closed.
What you can apply for
Eligible companies can apply for funding of up to £300,000 towards:
- ‘minority’ feature film co-productions (co-productions where the contribution of at least one of the other co-producing partners is greater than the overall contribution of the UK producer) in any language and any genre, including fiction, animation and documentary, which are co-produced with international partners
- television co-productions (whether ‘minority’ or ‘majority’ in nature) in the animation and documentary genres only, in any language, which are co-produced with international partners
Support will be in the form of non-repayable grants.
Who can apply
This strand is open to independent UK producers with demonstrable production experience. The project must:
- have at least 60% of the overall finance secured (in addition to any prospective contribution from this strand and UK tax relief)
- secure, or have already secured, at least one other source of UK funding (in addition to any prospective contribution from this strand and UK tax relief)
Our funding priorities
This strand aims to:
- support international co-production feature film projects of any genre, and animated and documentary television co-production projects, with strong export potential and international audience reach (projects should have revenue-generating potential for the UK producer)
- increase the visibility, level of financial and creative input, revenues and international track record of UK producers
In making awards, the UK Global Screen Fund (UKGSF) seeks to ensure a UK-wide benefit and address geographic imbalance within the industry.
Our assessment will therefore consider:
- where the applicant UK production company and individual UK producer(s) are based
- where projects are shot and/or made
- how projects reflect the culture and talent of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the English regions outside Greater London
For further information on the context of decisions around funding and eligibility please download our FAQs below.
What you need to provide
To complete the application form you will need to supply:
- full details of the eligible company and content
- why and how the content shows export and revenue-generating potential
- distribution approach and target audiences, markets and territories
- script, treatment for documentary, animation / storyboard for animation
- preliminary production package, including production schedule, budget and timeline
- split budget detailing expenditure per country and how UKGSF funding will be spent on UK elements of the budget
- full finance plan
Our resources: application outcomes and feedback
The extremely competitive nature of our funding means we often have to turn down projects even when they meet all stated criteria.
We aim to make the application process as fair and transparent as possible. As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we do not have the resources to provide feedback on projects that have been declined.