The 67th BFI London Film Festival (4 to 15 October) in partnership with American Express is excited to announce that this year’s opening night gala will be Saltburn, directed, produced and written by Academy Award winner Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman).
Saltburn opens Kristy Matheson’s first festival in her new role as BFI Festivals director, and stars Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, Rosamund Pike, Richard E. Grant, Alison Oliver, Archie Madekwe and Carey Mulligan. The film, which is a beautifully wicked tale of privilege and desire, will receive its international premiere on Wednesday 4 October at the Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall. Amazon Studios and MGM will release the MRC and LuckyChap Entertainment-produced film exclusively in cinemas on 24 November. There will also be simultaneous preview screenings of the film taking place at multiple cinemas across the UK.
Sign up for BFI London Film Festival emails
Get #LFF news, competitions and ticket release updates.
Set in the mid-2000s and shot in a variety of locations around the UK, the story sees student Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan) struggling to find his place at Oxford University and finding himself drawn into the world of the charming and aristocratic Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi), who invites him to Saltburn, his eccentric family’s sprawling estate, for a summer never to be forgotten.
“I’m honoured that our film is able to open this year’s BFI London Film Festival,” said Fennell. “It is a festival that inspired me so much growing up, one that I followed excitedly from my bedroom on the other side of London. It feels extra-special that Saltburn, this very British tale of excess, is able to make its international debut at the wonderful BFI.”
Matheson said: “As soon as the credits rolled on Saltburn it was clear we’d met our opening night film. Academy Award winner Emerald Fennell returns with an expertly crafted and exhilarating thrill ride of a film that showcases an enormous depth of UK talents in front of and behind the camera. With its exceptional performances, delicious plot twists and a soundtrack of early 21st century pop bangers, this hugely ambitious film immediately stole our hearts and we can’t wait to share it with audiences in London and across the UK this October.”
The film is an Amazon Studios and MGM production, along with MRC and LuckyChap Entertainment. Amazon Studios and MGM will release Saltburn in cinemas on 24 November.
The 67th edition of the BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express will take place in the following venues:
- The Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall returns as gala venue
- BFI Southbank is the home of the competition programme, series, Screen Talks and LFF for Free events
- The UK’s biggest screen BFI IMAX will once again host LFF screenings
- LFF Expanded exhibition of immersive storytelling finds a new home in Bargehouse at Oxo Tower Wharf, and you can also catch selected works at Outernet
- Five partner cinemas in London’s West End include Curzon Mayfair, Curzon Soho, Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA), Prince Charles Cinema and Vue West End
- Festival venues across the UK include Broadway Cinema in Nottingham, Chapter in Cardiff, Glasgow Film Theatre, HOME in Manchester, MAC in Birmingham, Queen’s Film Theatre in Belfast, Showroom Cinema in Sheffield, Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle and Watershed in Bristol
- Press and industry screenings take place at Picturehouse Central and ODEON Luxe Leicester Square
In addition to UK-wide screenings at the festival venues, audiences will also be able to explore LFF programmes past and present with a special collection of films on BFI Player.
The 67th BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express takes place from Wednesday 4 October to Sunday 15 October, 2023. The BFI LFF press launch will take place on Thursday 31 August, 2023.
Discover award-winning independent British and international cinema
Free for 14 days, then £4.99/month or £49/year.Try for free