The BFI Film Academy scheme is providing opportunities for talented and committed young people between the ages of 16–19 to develop new skills and build a career in the film industry, no matter where they live or what their background.
Each residential course will focus on the complete craft and workflow of one of the different specialisms – animation, documentary, screenwriting and VFX – with leading industry professionals delivering masterclasses and practical skills training. Participants will also receive bespoke careers advice. This an intensive hot-housing course to be run delivered during February half-term 2019.
We welcome applications from talented young filmmakers from all backgrounds. The Course Fee ranges from £0 to £210 for the Specialist Residential courses, which includes your accommodation and food for the duration of the residential.
Due to generous support from the Department for Education in England, Creative Scotland, Lottery funding and Northern Ireland Screen we are able to heavily subsidise the cost of fees. The true cost of providing these courses is £1,500 for the Specialist Residential course, but the maximum you will be asked to pay is £210 for the Specialist Residential if you fall into the highest income bracket. Depending on your financial circumstances we will subsidise some of the Course Fee or all of it.
Please don’t let the cost of the residential courses deter you from applying. If a young person is offered a place on the Film Academy and can’t afford the Course Fee or other associated costs, our bursary scheme can help them — if you have the talent we will make sure you can attend.
For more information please download the FAQ below or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to apply for any BFI Film Academy course, you must:
- be aged 16-19 years old on the first day of the course.
- not be attending university at the time of the course.
- have a passion or talent for filmmaking and an ambition to work in the film industry.
- be able to commit to the duration of the course.
- If you have already attended a BFI Film Academy Network course, you are still eligible to apply. Unfortunately if you have previously attended a BFI Film Academy residential course, you are not able to apply.