Applications for the International Business Development funding strand are currently closed.
What you can apply for
Eligible companies can apply for funding using one of two tracks:
- Film Transformation Track: funding for internationally-focused transformational business strategies related to independent UK film. Strategies must start in early 2024 and span three to five years
- General Track: funding for business strategies to create, acquire and/or exploit intellectual property (IP), covering all eligible screen sectors, for increased international revenue, audiences and profile. Strategies must start in early 2024 and span three years
Eligible companies can apply for funding between £50,000 and £200,000 in total over the three-year funding period, with support in the form of non-repayable grants (applicable to both the Film Transformation Track and the General Track).
Who can apply
The International Business Development strand is open to independent UK screen companies with a track record in creating, acquiring, and/or exploiting IP in at least one of the following categories:
- feature films – fiction, documentary, animation – for theatrical and/or online release
- programmes – fiction, documentary, animation – for broadcast television, video-on-demand services or other forms of online release
- interactive narrative video games for distribution on commercial digital platforms with the aim of generating revenue
Our funding priorities
This strand aims to support the development of UK screen content businesses focusing on revenue generation through export and international expansion.
UK Global Screen Fund (UKGSF) support will enable eligible companies to achieve measurable results, including:
- assisting companies to develop a strong presence in the international marketplace
- developing quality UK projects aimed at the global marketplace and global audiences
- supporting the creation of new international business partnerships and alliances
- supporting the development of new international revenue streams and increased private sector investment
- assisting companies in establishing targeted development, production, sales, distribution and marketing strategies which exploit new opportunities in the global digital and online realm
In addition, in making awards through each of its strands, the fund is seeking to ensure a UK-wide benefit and address geographic imbalance within the industry.
Therefore, as part of our assessment, we will consider:
- where the applicant company is based
- how the IP that the company creates, acquires and/or exploits reflects the culture and talent of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the English regions outside Greater London
- any other proposed UK-wide benefits within the application
Our resources: application outcomes and feedback
The extremely competitive nature of our funding means we often have to turn down projects even when they meet all of our stated criteria.
We aim to make the application process as fair and transparent as possible. As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we do not have the resources to provide feedback on projects that have been declined.