Self-service book scanners and printing
The library has 3 self-service book scanners and 3 digital microform readers.
Copies may be saved to USB or printed. Only black and white A4 printing is available.
It is also possible to print some pages and documents from our research terminals. However, saving to USB from these terminals is not possible.
Copying and scanning charges
To make copies you will need to purchase a rechargeable copycard at the library desk. You can then charge this card with copy credit. We sell copy credit in bundles of 5.
- copycard £1
- minimum copy credit £1 for 5 copies (20p per scan)
- 1 x A4 page / 1 x digital image 20p
Policy and copyright
Much of the collection can be copied, but this is subject to size and condition, and must be within existing legal requirements.
Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals guidelines state that:
You may make a single print or digital copy of anything in copyright for:
- non-commercial private study or research
- illustration for instruction or teaching
- quoting from a work
- caricature, parody or pastiche
- news reporting, except for photographs
The amount you copy must be “fair and justifiable”. You must:
- not reproduce the copy, sell it or share it online
- acknowledge the source where reasonably practical
The legal copying limits are:
- journal or periodical: 1 article from any 1 issue
- published work: one chapter or 5% of extracts
Particularly delicate material may not be suitable for copying. These items are usually clearly marked. Some unpublished materials such as theses cannot be copied as permission has not been granted by the author.
Where copying from web pages the same criteria apply as those stated above. Please respect any additional copyright notices and any copyright statements attached to individual works.
Contractual copyright conditions may also apply to material available via subscription databases.
If you are unsure about what you may or may not copy, or you need more information about specific items, please ask a member of staff.
Further information about copyright: