The Birds and the Bees
60 years of British sex education films
From the earliest-known example, Whatsoever a Man Soweth (1917) to the comical, but ultimately serious, ‘Ave You Got a Male Assistant Please Miss? (1973), this unique anthology of 16 key titles takes in almost 60 years of the British sex education film.
Take a journey through the euphemisms, metaphors, and diagrams of yore to discover the controversial attitude-changing works of the early 1970s. All matters, unmentionable or otherwise, are dealt with here, from First World War warnings to soldiers of the potential dangers of cavorting with loose women in London’s West End, to puberty pep-talks for girls and scare stories to deter unwanted teenage pregnancies.
By turns enlightening, entertaining and surprising, the range and type of works presented here will interest film fans, social historians and anyone interested to ensure that they stay on the road to health.
- Whatsoever a Man Soweth (1917)
- Any Evening After Work (1930)
- How to Tell (1931)
- The Mystery of Marriage (1932)
- Trial for Marriage (1936)
- A Test for Love (1937)
- The Road of Health (1938)
- Love on Leave (1940)
- Six Little Jungle Boys (1945)
- The People at Number 19 (1949)
- Growing Girls (1949)
- Learning to Live (1964)
- Her Name was Ellie, His Name was Lyle (1967)
- Growing Up (1971)
- Don’t Be Like Brenda (1973)
- ‘Ave You Got A Male Assistant Please? (1973)
- New music scores for Whatsoever a Man Soweth, Any Evening After Work and How to Tell composed by Dave Formula from the British post-pink band Magazine (320 kbps Dolby Digital stereo audio).
- Fully illustrated booklet including notes and credits on all of the films alongside new introductory essays.
Colour and Black/white
English for the hard-of-hearing
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories
- B - Includes most European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand