Good Morning + I Was Born, But...
Films by Yasujiro Ozu
A Tokyo suburb buzzing with gossip is the backdrop to Ozu’s cheerful comedy, Good Morning. Disillusioned with the meaningless talk to their elders, two brothers take a vow of silence when their parents refuse to buy them a TV. Good Morning pokes fun at the silliness of everyday chatter whilst gently acknowledging its fundamental necessity.
Also included here is Ozu’s superb early comedy I Was Born, But…. The forerunner of Good Morning, this silent masterpiece contains many similar themes but a darker edge. As brothers Ryoichi and Keiji struggle to outwit the local bully and scale the pecking order in their new neighbourhood they find out that injustice does not end with school.
- Newly recorded score for ‘I Was Born, But…’ by composer Ed Hughes and the New Music Players.
- Fully illustrated booklet features newly commissioned sleevenote essay by silent film curator Bryony Dixon and review by Jonathan Rosenbaum.
- New and improved English subtitles.
Colour and Black/white
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories
- B - Includes most European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand