A film by Michelangelo Antonioni
Antonioni’s mid-career masterpiece – his first film in colour – tells the story of Giuliana (Monica Vitti), a young woman suffering a mental and emotional crisis and embarking tentatively on an affair. Vitti – Antonioni’s lover and muse, and the star of his earlier films L’avventura, L’eclisse and La notte – gives a magnificent, startling performance. She is ably accompanied by Carlo Chionetti as her unemotional husband Ugo, and Richard Harris as Corrado, Ugo’s restless associate who finds himself drawn to her.
Red Desert is a stunning film from the great Italian auteur, a deserving winner of the Golden Lion at the 1965 Venice Film Festival and a high point in modern cinema.
This is a new restoration with new improved English subtitle translation.
- Brand new restoration with new English subtitles.
- New full-feature commentary by Italian scholar David Forgacs.
- Original trailer.
- Fully illustrated colour booklet containing newly commissioned essays, notes, and Antonioni’s recollections of making Red Desert.
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories
- B - Includes most European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand