The Other Side of the Underneath
A film by Jane Arden
Jane Arden’s violent and powerful adaptation of her work with The Holocaust women’s theatre troupe looks into the mind of a woman labelled schizophrenic and finds, not madness, but tortured sexual guilt created by the taboos of society.
“I dont know of anyone in cinema who has penetrated the psyche to the extent she has or evolved visual language of such richness and strength to convey what she has to say.” Molly Plowright, Glasgow Herald
- Brand new restoration.
- Extended sequences (33 min).
- Filmed interviews with Sheila Allen (2008, 27 min) and Natasha Morgan (2007, 9 min).
- Trailer for Anti-Clock (Jane Arden/Jack Bond, 1979, 3 min).
- Fully illustrated booklet with essays by Susan Croft, Sophie Mayer, Amy Simmons, Penny Slinger; reviews, biographies and credits.
English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles
Original aspect ratio
- 2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories